Friday 11 January 2008

Dear sir or madam, would you read my book?

A first for me this week - a letter of mine was printed in the South China Morning Post. Regular readers (!) will know only too well my views on this rag, but, for better or worse it is HK's leading English Language paper and the closest thing to a free press that we have locally. My letter was prompted by the news that the mainland is taking action to curb plastic bag use. My good friend, the redoubtable Lottie P, followed it up the next day with a second letter on the same theme.

The most interesting thing about this whole process was the angle that the SCMP placed on both. Both letters had as their core point the lamentable lack of action taken by HK to sort out its own plastics consumption. However, the headings for the letters in the paper highlighted their relative support for the Chinese position. Mine, for example, was titled "Decisive Action" - a header that so missed the mark that I didn't even notice that it was my letter underneath!

Decisive Action

Jan 11, 2008

I read with interest the report that the mainland is taking the lead in reducing the use of plastic bags ("Plastic bag crackdown to include ban on free handouts from June 1", January 9).

I applaud the firm and forward-looking stance that the mainland has taken, which places it alongside other forward-looking nations which are prepared to take decisive action to deal with the environmental problems caused by excessive and irresponsible plastic use.

It therefore is all the more shameful and inexplicable that Legco and Hong Kong retailers are so spineless in their efforts to curb plastic (mis)use.

Where are the leaders who are prepared to take the brave and morally responsible decisions necessary to bring Hong Kong into line with the mainland?

La Grande Poobah, Mid-Levels

2 comments:

Mummy said...

I have taken to reading the whole of the SCMP recently (gives me something to read to the bundle), and I am quite shocked at how pro-Beijing, or maybe lacking in criticism of Beijing, it has become.

I started reading it 5 years ago when I arrived in HK and then it still had a bit of bite about it and seemed to commentate in the best interests of HK, the coverage of the first pro democracy march was very even and supportive of the protesters. Recently, however, there seems to have been a change in editorial policy.

I found the coverage of the recent Taiwan election outrageous. As well as placing it in the "National" section of the newspaper, which I find laughable, the commentary has been horribly one sided.

LottieP said...

Redoubtable! Thanks (I think). This word makes me think of nannies. I know my shoes are called "Nanny", but they do have a sky-high heel...

The pisspoor South China can always be relied upon to screw up the subheadings. My favourite (surely unintentional)? A photograph of a skinny orthodox Jewish boy, his grin displaying the extensive hardware hew was wearing to correct his goofy teeth. The headline? "West Bank braces for further battles".