Saturday 26 July 2008

Sing, sing a song, make it simple, to last your whole life long!!!!!


Singapore. Singabore. Disneyland with the death penalty.

Before moving to Hong Kong, I thought it and Singapore were same same. City states, in Asia, ex colonies, financial/business hubs. National pastime = shopping. What could differentiate??

Having now a touch of experience, I know. I've grown to treat trips to Singapore with a mixture of dread and leaden anticipation. Dread as my time is usually accounted for before I land, and I have no time to myself, leaden anticipation as this place can be so, so dull....This time my feelings were heightened as the full enormity of the trip (10 whole days!!!) came on the back of the freedom, exhilaration and sheer beauty of Mongolia. A panicky email to friends to recommend "things to do" whilst in Singapore ensued - I was seriously worried that I might actually die of boredom whilst here...

And then, in the manner of most things, the cards fell in a very different way and I began to appreciate its charms....Aided by a limo pick up from the airport (seamless), a stay in an amazing hotel and then the fortuitous appearance of many friends over the weekend makes me wonder what all the fuss was about....

3 comments:

LottieP said...

I knew you'd get used to it ;-)

Mummy said...

SIngapore is just about the strangest place I have been too. Lovely, good fun (I have lots of friends there so always have a good time) but no character. Or rather it has "formed" characters such as China Town, or the CBT but it has been planned rather than evolved - and all the best cities are evolutionary.

Anonymous said...

I really like Singapore - our best man lives there so there is never any shortage of fun and things to do. I am looking forward to our 5 day stopover there in 4 weeks!