Tuesday 11 November 2008

Step it up, step it up it's alright...

One of the most important life lessons I've learned in the past couple of years, thanks to LottieP, is the importance of stepping over things, rather than running headlong into them.

On this trip back oop north with my family, I realised to my surprise that this was one that I could indeed have learned from my family many years ago. Now, it shouldn't come as any surprise that the secret to reasonably functioning family relationships is the ability to ignore or tune out the more extreme or annoying habits and traits of one's family. You know, Dad's casual homophobia, Mum's ditziness, that kind of thing (worth noting at this point that it's just as well, of course, that I'm perfect and impose none of this burden on my family, oh no).

Anyway, as we drove away from Blackpool (allegedly the UK's premier tourist hotspot, but having seen the prom I have my doubts) we settled into the car journey home. As is usual, my brother was in charge of choons. As is also customary, he took no notice of the preferences of the audience and proceeded to treat us to a medley of Village People tracks (innofensive, crap), followed by this lil' number from Peaches and Iggy Pop (even by my very liberal standards a litle eye opening) before rounding off with this.

Hilarious. And somehow, throughout it all my parents didn't blink once, stepping over the whole smutty, bawdy mess with aplomb.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Stero MC's

Mummy said...

Things should always be stepped over with families. Otherwise we would all end killing them.

However, with everyone else things should be dealt with headlong. I have seen too many friendships and relationships hang grimly on long after they should have been dealt with.

Looking forward to having you back.