Tuesday 2 September 2008

Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese...

One of the crueler pass times that expats get up to is laughing at the standard of English of the locals.

As someone who can speak rusty French and German, and had to give up on Cantonese when I got my tones horribly confused and said "cock" rather than "nine" to a group of bemused business men (you think in the context of a lift I would have got away with it, but they can be unforgiving about this sort of thing...) I am generally pretty tolerant of anyone's attempt to speak English, as I don't think I've earned the right to have a giggle or criticize.

However, browsing the furniture ads (moving house means I've got to shift a lot of furniture quickly) I was surprised and a little disgusted to find someone proudly offering a "SOFA CUM BED".

Should you want it, you do have to trek to Lantau to collect :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is not attracting many visitors at the moment

Anonymous said...

Hey GP, use your sabbatical for something useful and get posting!

(only kidding...)

Anonymous said...

Caped crusader isn't me, by the way, though I know fine well who it is...

Anonymous said...

Apparently this song is about masturbation. In my innocence that never occurred to me...

The video's a bit dodgy too.